miércoles, 13 de abril de 2011

Mùsica :Ivo Gico . Em Uma Tarde de Domingo

I was born in Brasília, Brazil, in 1977.  I graduated in Law at the University of Brasília in 1999 and moved to New York in 2000 to obtain my LL.M. at Columbia Law School.  There I lived at the International House where, with some luck and Brazilian charm, I was given a room with a good view of the Sakura Park and the Riverside Church.  During the first term, every Thursday afternoon, while studying for my Corporate Law classes in my room, I was surprised by a young scholar from the Manhattan School of Music who would come to the park also to study, though his studies would be literally music to my ears.  The anonymous musician would sit just below my window and would play jazz for hours.  Every week, this was the most peaceful moment I would enjoy and a promise I made to myself: after this, no matter what, I would learn to play the saxophone.



Well, by the end of 2001, I was back at São Paulo, Brazil, working as a full time lawyer, pursuing my Ph.D. at the University of São Paulo and taking saxophone classes during weekends.  I was using a very old saxophone from a musician that was the brother of a friend of mine at work.  Until that moment, those classes were nothing but a way to enjoy music again and obviously I had no time to practice.  My neighbors suffered highly, but I realized the liberating power that is to produce music yourself.  This power has accompanied me since then.  Eventually I bought an awesome Yamaha saxophone so that I could no longer blame the instrument for my lack of skills.  My golden friend is with me until today.

With so many parallel activities, it was not until 2006 that I was able to actually finish my doctorate.  By then, due to work, I had moved at least seven times trough Brasília, São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Geneva, Switzerland.  During this period, many times, my golden friend was my only company and I started to unpretentiously write down some interesting ideas that were popping up in my head.  Since my playing skills were nowhere near reasonable, none of friends took seriously my ideas but again, as what has become a tradition now, I made a new promise: I would record my music in ways that people would be able to appreciate it.  Em uma tarde de Domingo (On a Given Sunday), finished in 2006 but only released in 2009, is the result.

Believe it or not, I am currently pursuing a new Ph.D. in Economics at the University of Brasília and I am already working on what I believe will be my master piece, now co-authored with Gabriela Gico, my wife: raising my two most loved kids, Sofia and Ivo Neto.  They are, in every sense, living music to me.  My golden friend is resting now, ever waiting for me.  I will probably manage to resume writing music in the future.  Until then, enjoy some musical reflections of what happened in my brief life.  Hope you enjoy it as I do.



Ivo Gico
http://www.jamendo.com/es/album/42042?refuid=318069
http://imgjam.com/albums/s42/42042/covers/1.0.jpg

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Archivo del blog

free counters

Datos personales

Mi foto
Malas noticias en los periòdicos, asesinatos, enfermedad, pobreza, dolor, injusticias, discriminaciòn, guerras, lo grave es que nos parece normal.

Ecologia2